Thursday, April 17, 2008

Strachan proud of Celtic spirit

Manager Gordon Strachan was delighted to see Celtic stay in the title race after Jan Vennegoor
of Hesselink's injury-time winner.
Celtic manager Gordon Strachan
Strachan was happy to see his side snatch a last-gasp winner

"It keeps it ticking along nicely," Strachan told BBC Sport after a thrilling 2-1 victory at Celtic Park.
"We showed tremendous spirit to come back and keep creating chances after missing the penalty."
Celtic are a point behind the Scottish Premier League leaders but have played two games more than their rivals.
A brawl broke out on the pitch on the final whistle but Strachan said: "I've not got a clue what happened.
"For me to comment on something I don't know anything about would be like me talking about politics. I never saw anything there."
Asked if the referee requested to talk to any Hoops stars, Strachan added: "I think he wanted to speak to one or two players after the game. I think he spoke to one or two players."
It later transpired that Celtic's Gary Caldwell and David Weir of Rangers were shown red cards after the match, which followed the 70th-minute dismissal of the visitors' defender Carlos Cuellar for handling a net-bound Shunsuke Nakamura shot.
"I think the Old Firm games have gone back to a 1980s style," stated Strachan.
"When I first came here it was a footballing Old Firm but it's more intense now.
"Atmosphere-wise it's good, as long as the players maintain discipline." Nakamura fired Celtic in front as the home side dominated the first half.
Nacho Novo equalised after the break and Celtic missed a great chance when Scott McDonald's penalty, which followed Cuellar's handball, was saved by Allan McGregor. However, Celtic found a winner in the 93rd minute when Vennegoor of Hesselink headed home from inside the six-yard box.
"We were in control in the first half and I felt we were worthy of our lead, although I would have preferred two or three," said Strachan.
"I knew one wouldn't be enough because Rangers would react - and they did."

No comments: